Positron Emission Mammography (PEM) – For the latest in the fight against breast cancer.
The benefits of PEM are:
- Allows physician to see cancer as small as a grain of rice
- Compliments ultrasound, mammography and breast MRI in detecting local recurrent breast cancer
- Provides optimal treatment in breast cancer care management in pre-surgical planning and monitoring response to therapy
- High resolution PET scan for breast
- Captures snapshot of cellular activity within mass
Patient Information for PEM Procedure
Patient Instructions and Preparations should be as follows:
- Drink plenty of water the night before exam
- Do Not eat or drink anything the day of exam
- On the day of the exam, no gum chewing, no mints, no hard candy, no ice, no teeth brushing, no mouthwash, no tobacco chewing or smoking
- Avoid exercise and unnecessary physical activity on the day of your appointment
- Wear comfortable clothes, a two-piece outfit is best
- Please let staff know if you might be pregnant or are currently breast feeding
- Diabetic patients should not take their diabetic medications the morning of the PEM scan
On the day of the Procedure:
- Please arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment for registration and procedure preparation. The appointment time is for the injection, not the scan.
- After your injection with the radiopharmaceutical you will need to sit with no activity for about one hour before the scan.
- 10-15 minutes before the scan, you will be asked to empty your bladder.
- You will be sitting upright for your exam, each breast will be imaged in approximately three different positions. The breast will be compressed slightly similar to a mammogram but with less compression. Each image takes approximately 8-10 minutes.
- The technologist will be with you during the entire examination.