DEXA Bone Density Studies in Lakeland, FL
What Is Osteoporosis?
Osteoporosis is a disease in which bones become fragile and brittle and are prone to fracture. Osteoporosis affects 44 million Americans, mostly women, but also men. Osteoporosis increases the risk of fractures which can be disabling or even deadly. Osteoporosis is treatable and may be preventable. People need to know their risk for osteoporosis and talk to their doctors about diagnosis, prevention and treatment.
DEXA Bone Density Scan
There are two ways to find out if you have osteoporosis: by breaking a bone or by getting a bone density test. Just as it is important to know your blood pressure and cholesterol, it is also important to know your T-score. Osteoporosis is diagnosed with bone density testing. At the Women’s Imaging Center, we offer state-of-the-art bone density testing with a Hologic DEXA scanner. The lumbar spine, hips and wrists can be tested. A “T-score” is obtained for each body part tested. By World Health Organization (WHO) criteria, a T-score greater than minus (-) 1.0 is normal, minus (-) 1.0 to (-) 2.5 is osteopenia and less than minus (-) 2.5 is osteoporosis.
Who Should Undergo Bone Density Testing
- All post-menopausal females and females with a history of premature menopause.
- Patients with an unexplained fracture.
- Patients on medications which increase risk of osteoporosis such as steroids.
- Patients considering hormone replacement therapy or other treatment for osteoporosis.
- History of osteoporosis, follow up of treatment for osteoporosis.
- Osteoporosis on radiographs.
Schedule Your DEXA Scan Today
To learn more about our DEXA services please call Women’s Imaging Center at 863-688-2334. We proudly serve patients in the Greater Lakeland Area including Plant City, Lakeland Highlands, Auburndale, Kissimmee and more.