Stereotactic Biopsy in Lakeland, FL
Breast biopsy is offered at Women’s Imaging Center and is performed when there is a suspicious finding on an imaging test. It obtains a sample of the breast tissue which is sent to a laboratory in order to confirm or rule out cancer.
A stereotactic breast biopsy is an alternative to open surgical biopsy. Our board-certified and breast subspecialized radiologists use digital images during a stereotactic breast biopsy to locate suspicious lesions to the accuracy of one millimeter. This helps our radiologist to guide the needle to the correct location. It is faster than a surgical biopsy, minimally invasive for the patient and much less expensive.
You may qualify for a stereotactic breast biopsy at Women’s Imaging Center if you have:
- A suspicious mass that cannot be felt on breast exam
- A mammogram showing suspicious clusters of small calcium deposits
- A distorted structure of breast tissue
- A new mass or area of calcium deposits present at a previous surgery site
- A preference for a non-surgical method of assessment
Stereotactic breast biopsy is just as reliable as surgical biopsy, but offers these significant benefits:
- No anesthesia is required for the procedure
- It is performed in less time
- It is much less expensive
- There is a lower risk of complication